Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fruitless Vegetable

Have you ever eaten an artichoke? It's definitely an experience to experience! I got a couple of them from the Bountiful Basket (produce co-op) I get. I'm telling ya, it's a fun veggie to cook and eat if you have A LOT of time and good company to eat it with! To be honest though, I'm not a huge fan of it. I don't really like the taste, the labor it takes to eat it, and the amount of food you get from this big veggie. It's seriously kind of ridiculous how little edible artichoke you get! I steamed the 2 artichokes with lemon and garlic for about an hour and then Myah and I went to work! (Justin didn't like it at all.)
 Myah LOVED it and was really good at biting/scraping down to get the little meat on the end of each leaf.
 Here's our heaping plate of leaves after we ate the meat on them.
 When you take all the leaves off, you're left with hair that you have to scrape off in order to get to the most edible part! 
 After scooping off the hair (which I think is hilarious!), the artichoke heart is revealed! Too bad I didn't have any spinach so I could have made spinach-artichoke dip!
Even though I didn't like the taste too much, Myah and I had a fun time eating it together!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Cute pictures but looks like WAY too much work for the amount you end up being able to eat!

Katie said...

Myah is one brave little girl. And you are patient to make the artichoke. I wouldn't have even known where to begin!

Jaycee said...

I have seen three references to artichokes today! You are really hip!
Myah is just the most amazing little girl on the planet! Probably the universe!