Thursday, July 12, 2012

Terrified out of our wits!

Last night, Justin and I were in bed. Justin was just about asleep and I was reading a book when out of the corner of my eye I saw a humongous thing running across our carpet!  Let me tell you, we have A TON of spiders in our apartment. We have spider traps everywhere and I have to change them out for new ones every couple weeks because they get full so fast! Well last night I was really freaked out because it was the biggest spider I have ever seen inside anywhere I've lived (the size of a silver dollar!!! Not exaggerating.) and spiders are one of my worse fears!

Justin had told me earlier in the week that one day he was leaving for work when he saw a huge spider run across the front room and under the couch. He told me it scared him nearly to death and that he tried to find it and kill it but never could. Well...here it was in our room now!!! Justin and I jumped on our knees on our bed and were officially in terrified mode while trying to figure out a plan to get this evil spider. The spider...let's call him Lucifer...was between our bed and our closet with our precious shoes and we didn't have anything big enough to smash him with near us. If only we could have video taped this whole event! It was the most scared we have ever been and looking back, it was pretty hilarous!

Lucifer dashed under our chest of drawers so I ran to the closet and got a shoe for each of us and then to the front room for our broom to shoo him out from under the drawers. The next hour was terrifying! He was so big we didn't think he could hide from us, but he managed to camoflouge himself well. One of the creepiest things for me was that I had a flashlight looking under the drawers when i saw something sparkling. I said to Justin, "I don't see the spider but I see something really sparkly. Maybe it's one of my earings." I was thinking of grabbing it, but luckily I didn't because later on we realized what I saw was Lucifer!!! I probably would have died right then and there if I actually grabbed that nasty thing!

To make a short story longer, we'd find Lucifer, try to get him, and he'd run and hide. We looked in our closet and under the drawers many times. Finally Justin spotted him again against the wall behind our drawers. I got on a chair and held the flashlight on Lucifer while Justin got the broom and tried to shoo him out so he could kill the nasty sucker. After minutes of him running to and fro and Justin almost killing him, Lucifer finally met his match with Justin and the broom. Luficer ran to a corner and Justin rammed the broom head into Lucifer's enormous body. Body parts went flying and we were so happy to finally know he was dead! (Sorry if any of you love spiders and it breaks your heart to hear me speak like this!) Justin gathered the body parts and I disinfected the broom and we finally went back to bed. It was ridiculous how long it took and how terrified we both were! It took us a while to ease our minds and actually go to sleep, but at least we didn't have to worry that we'd wake up with Lucifer on us! ...hopefully he doesn't have a brother!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

This is hilarious. I am sorry for your terror but the imagined scene I have makes me laugh so hard. But really, how could anyone go to sleep with a spider that huge on the loose? Naming it Lucifer is just perfect.

Katie said...

I loved the story! I read it to Nate who is also hates spiders. He started looking at our floor worried there were spiders crawling around down there.

The Tews said...

UGH! This made my skin crawl!!!! (and it made me laugh picturing you two!) When we lived in our first two basements apartments we had TONS of spiders. I found a big house spider on my pillow one night when I was getting into bed! Nate started spraying a terminex perimeter spray ($5-$10 at Lowes) around the entire outside of our apt where the house/windows met the ground and that really seemed to help.