Monday, September 10, 2012

Allergy testing

 
Justin went to a few doctor appointments last week. One of them was for allergy testing. As you can see, they tested him on both arms for 17 different foods. So he was poked tons of times! I probably would have passed out! Well, it ends up that he's allergic to 7 of the items tested...can you guess what they are???
He's allergic to:
Wheat
Eggs
Corn
Milk
Peanuts
Soy
Cocoa
So pretty much everything he eats has at least one of those ingredients in it! This month we are figuring out how sick each of those foods make him so we can determine which things he should cut out of his diet and which things he's ok to eat occasionally. He doesn't break out in hives or anything you can see. He just always feels very sick to his stomach, gets sore throats, headaches, and that kind of fun stuff. It would be amazing for him not to feel sick everyday.
I will be doing a lot of researching what flours and things I can buy so I can make him food he can eat and not feel sick after eating. After we get this figured out, we'll see if his chest pain goes away. If not then we'll go back to a specialist to see if they can find anything else.
 
To tell you the truth, Justin and I have been feeling very jealous of most other couples who have had things go the way they planned and wanted. It's hard to see most people having a lot of success in their endeavors and then see things going downhill for us. It's hard to understand why J's lung collapsed twice and because of that, he couldn't keep his pilot slot for Marines. It's hard to see our dream of Justin flying and fighting for our wonderful country down the drain. It's hard to see Justin sick all the time and not finding many answers why. And the list goes on. It's something we really have to work on because I know the Lord is not punishing us or anything. I know he loves us because he has blessed us with so much during our trials and though some of our hopes and dreams have been dashed, we are both still alive and we have such a sweet daughter who has brought more happiness into our lives. We have been greatly blessed financially through all the hospital/medical bills. Justin has a good job and will hopefully find one in his field soon. There is so much to be thankful for!
So though it may be difficult to hear all the common things Justin is allergic to, we are VERY grateful that we finally have hope that he won't be sick all the time. This is the best news we've gotten for a long time, at least medically!
 

3 comments:

The Haws Family said...

I cannot even imagine. We wish you guys the best with all of this! I have a really good friend who has a lot of family that can't have gluten and they have a TON of recipes that they've converted. I can try and get them for you if you think that is part of the problem! (I'm not sure if that is the same as wheat? Or different?)

Rachel said...

I really hope avoiding some of those foods will help Justin feel better. I am confident he will still find things to eat because you are looking out for him.

The Tews said...

No wonder Justin is always feeling sick! He is allergic to A LOT of stuff! Oh man, that is not fun. Well, like the Haws said, at least now there are lots many gluten friendly recipes and options. The corn seems like it would be the hardest thing because a variation of corn seems to be in EVERYTHING! Eggs would be rough too. :( Do you guys have a health food store close?

I don't drink milk or soy milk anymore - only almond milk and I love it. They make a tasty vanilla that Justin might like.

I'm so sorry things have been rough. It really doesn't seem fair, especially for Justin not being able to pursue his dreams. Maybe you are being prepared for some opportunity that could only come about because of these trials. We love you guys, keep us posted!